In order to be eligible for admission into the residency, candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must have an earned degree from an approved or recognized school of medicine or osteopathy.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 2 years in an ACGME approved residency. To verify that your program is an ACGME accredited program you can check here. If you are unable to fulfill this requirement because you have received residency training or clinical experience outside of the United States, you must contact the American Board of Medical Genetics to apply for training credit prior to applying for training in the Harvard Medical School Clinical Genetics Residency. The ABMG will process your request and provide you with written documentation regarding whether or not you are eligible for one or two years of credit.
- Our residents receive much of their funding through the National Institute of Health. In order to be eligible for this funding, an applicant must be a United States citizen, a non-citizen national of the U.S. or have been lawfully admitted to permanent residence at the time of application. We do not currently sponsor any types of visas for trainees. Therefore, adequate outside funding and visa sponsorship would be required for those who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Graduates from an approved or recognized medical school outside of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico must present a valid ECFMG Certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates as an additional condition of eligibility.
- All graduates of our Clinical Genetics Residency Program will be expected to sit for the American Board of Medical Genetics Examination upon successful completion of their training. The criteria for sitting for the board exam is available on the ABMG website.
If you are interested and eligible to apply to our program please do so through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). All Medical Genetics Programs follow the fellowship timeline. For matriculation in July 2012, the match opens July 27, 2011 with a November 30 Match Day.
Any further questions can be directed to our Program Coordinator at: